Friday, March 8, 2013

The tomb of Tutankhamun



 Last week Saturday I went to visit an exhibition in Amsterdam about the tomb of the pharaoh Tutankhamun.
I can tell you it was an amazing experience. I've always been very fond of ancient Egyptian history and had always wanted to see a mummy in real life. This was quite close to the real deal but nevertheless just as interesting and gob smacking.

The exhibition was made up of many items that were found in Tutankhamun’s tomb along with the mummified body of the pharaoh when it was finally discovered by archaeologist Howard Carter. The items on display were unfortunately not the real ones but were all exact replicas. The real artifacts can be found at the history museum in Cairo for they are too fragile to be transported in an exhibition.
The archaeologist wanted to give visitor’s the exact image he had when he first beheld the tomb and at the exhibition I be held every room in the eyes of Carter the day he first discovered it. It was so breathtaking. I really can’t describe what I felt and what I thought. I was so bewildered. It amazes me how detailed this ancient civilization was and how extra ordinary they were. They were so different than any other culture living in this world.

Once forgotten and lost Tutankhamun’s tomb is now the most famous ever found in all of history. Age of death only 18 makes him just as mysterious as well. What could have caused his death? It’s still unknown to us today.
Apparently he was a very handsome man in his day and in 2005 they even make a digital remake of his face using his DNA and bone structure and I have to admit he really was the looker.
From all the mummies found he was the last to be found because he was hidden in his tomb for so long. I would love to visit his tomb in Egypt one day as well as many others.


The exhibition was so fun and educational that I was sad when it came to an end. I had come to the last part on my audio tape and listened very carefully. There is still a lot of research going on around Tutankhamun and in year’s time, with the help of new technology, there will be more riddles solved. But as they also predicted there are some things we will never know about the ancient Egyptians which was something they intended no one ever to find out about.

After spending two hours at the exhibition I beheld the gift shop. I was keen on attaining a little souvenir as this was definitely a place to remember. I bought myself a little white soap stone scarab. I really love these little things. They have a very special meaning for ancient Egyptians. They were a symbol similar to Ra, the sun god; the rebirth of the sun.



If you happen to be in the area and would also like to see this exhibition it’s possible until May. It’s definitely worth it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Carter (check out the biography of Howard Carter, who found the tomb of Tutankhamun).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutankhamun (check out the history of Tutankhamun).


The exhibition really had an impact on me and I feel a lot wiser knowing about this history. It even makes me keen on the whole mummification thing. To think that you’d be discovered thousands of years later.

Thanks for reading and take care.


No comments:

Post a Comment